Today, 23rd October 2014, there is a solar eclipse at 0 degrees Scorpio. No doubting it’s a particularly powerful one and here are the reasons why:
1. All eclipses are powerful symbols by their nature. The Moon, symbolising the receptive, feminine essence is blocking the Sun’s active, male essence from view and can be seen in the daytime in those parts of the Earth that lie beneath the eclipse path. Now there’s a turn up for the books!
2. 0 degrees of any sign is especially potent, it’s one of the “critical degrees”. Occurring at the very beginning of a fixed sign (Scorpio in this case, it’s all about potential and starting things. What is begun now will last a long time.
3. Being in Scorpio there is definitely a deeper meaning to this particular eclipse. With a reputation for being deep, dark, intense and sexy, Scorpio deals with things that are hidden; taboo subjects that we don’t like to talk about; sexuality and steamy passion. It is the season of Halloween and the coming of the “dark time” as the clocks go back so we can include Witchcraft (white of course) and intuition of the feminine kind in here.
4. Jealousy and possessiveness are key emotions that Scorpio deals with. And this is where this eclipse starts to get really interesting, because Venus, the planet of love and relating is joining the line up of the Sun and the Moon. Venus doesn’t really like to be in Scorpio, it’s the domain of her other-half Mars, and she doesn’t behave very well when she’s not feeling at home. So potentially a double whammy in terms of the “sticky” types of emotions.
5. AND there’s another interesting addition to the mix. The asteroid Pallas Athena is also there in the line up. Now, as a traditional astrologer, I don’t usually consider the asteroids, they are far too modern! And somewhat unnecessary. You can get all the information you need from the 7 traditional planets in my opinion. BUT, I have a very personal affinity with the goddess Pallas Athena. She is the warrior princess, and also the Goddess of Wisdom. And her namesake asteroid is said to have a talent for recognising patterns.
6. Now, there is another thing about eclipses; they occur in patterns, or cycles. Astronomers call them Saros Cycles. This one is part of the family of eclipses called Saros Cycle 17 New North. Catchy name huh? This cycle is still a baby and began on July 28th 1870 and will finish on August 26th 3114. The UK based Astrologer Bernadette Brady is the acknowledged expert on Saros Cycles and she says that the energy attached to this particular cycle is “impulsive”; “socialising becomes hectic”; “issues emerge that motivate the individual”; “whatever the motivation, it is impulsive, passionate and exciting”. She advises “have fun, enjoy it”! Interesting that SS17NewNorth was the first eclipse to occur in the swinging 60s!
7. And finally, at lucky number 7, how appropriate, Neptune the planet of connecting to a higher consciousness is in a trine (nice, easy, supportive energy) to this quadruple conjunction. Neptune can also be about deception and illusion when he is not playing nicely and he also rules drugs and booze. But being in his home sign of Pisces right now, I think it’s safe to say that he’s having a good day (or rather decade). He should be adding a touch of enchantment, magic and glamour to this particular eclipse.
So how do we put all this together and make the best use of the eclipse window which can be felt for up to 6 months?
Take a little time out to recognise the patterns in your life that have held you back from being your best, true self. Work with your intuition to identify where and when you have held onto sticky emotions like jealousy, possessiveness and obsessions, or maybe even “just” bad habits, and what has motivated you to hold on to anything that no longer serves your higher self. Here is a golden opportunity to throw it all out and begin anew. And if you do the work now the results will be long lasting.
Best of all, it’s actually going to be fun to get rid of all this baggage and free yourself. Remember to channel the idealism, freedom and euphoria of the swinging 60s. Believe in miracles! Make a wish! Stand up for what you believe in! Liberate yourself! Give yourself permission to be impulsive, and know that you are protected as a divine creation of the universe. This is the realm of the calculated risk. Chances are it will work out now. The door is wide open right now and dramatic and long lasting positive change is waiting for you on the other side. Another gift from the gods and you have been given the free will to take it or leave it. Choose wisely my friend!