Let face it folks, living in fear is no fun and also prevents you from exploring what you are truly capable of.
Here are some of the ways that fear of disapproval can run your life. Give yourself one point for each statement that seems to describe you.
1) I frequently go along with what others want or suggest rather than make my own choices.
2) I often notice myself disagreeing with what others say but keep my opinions to myself.
3) I have a difficult time in leadership positions telling other people what to do.
4) I become extremely nervous if I have to give people negative feedback and often let them think everything is fine when it isn’t.
5) When asked to make a decision, I frequently am noncommittal because I am afraid to make the wrong choice.
6) I find out what others like or how they feel and agree with them rather than offer my own innovative thoughts.
7) I disapprove of or criticize others first if I am afraid they might disapprove of me.
8) I hide my fear of other people and their judgements of me by being apathetic, or acting like I don’t care.
9) I avoid people who intimidate me or with whom I feel some tension.
10) When I lend people money, I have a difficult time asking them to return what they borrowed.
11) Frequently don’t ask for what I want sexually from a partner and have had few satisfying sexual experiences.
12) I have a difficult time saying no to people when they ask for favours or want something from me that I don’t want to give.
Now add up your score.
0 – 4 points: You have a normal amount of fear of disapproval. Continue to work on being on those areas that fear prevents you from getting to best out of life without stepping on other people’s feelings.
4 – 8 points: You are letting your fear of what others think of you stops you from being the unique person you are. It’s time for a change.
8 –12 points: Emergency!! You are letting your fears of disapproval run your life. Take action to change this habit immediately unless you like others walking all over you.
Until next time Esther 600504